Manchester United legend Gary Neville has said that Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England when they face Senegal in the World Cup on Sunday.
The Three Lions finished top of Group B with seven points after yesterday’s 3-0 win over Wales. Rashford was the pick of the players with two goals in the second half.
Gareth Southgate’s side will now face Senegal in the round of 16 this weekend and ahead of the game, Neville has backed Rashford to make the starting line-up.
Raheem Sterling and Bukayo Saka were the preferred wingers for Southgate in the first two group games before being rested for the final encounter against Wales.
The pair could be recalled to replace Rashford and Phil Foden on Sunday, but Neville feels the former is guaranteed to start on the back of his brace on Tuesday.
He told Sky Sports: “I was worried a little bit in the first half when he missed that chance and I wondered whether that would play on his mind. But I was delighted he got the two goals in the second half.”
“I think he’s actually pushed himself into a position whereby he’s the one I think will start on Sunday, he’s the one guaranteed to start in that wide position with Kane in the middle. It’s that other side where I’m not sure.”
Rashford deserves starting berth vs Senegal
The £48 million-rated star has had a terrific career revival under United boss Erik ten Hag this season. He has registered eight goals and three assists from 19 outings.
His form has been carried over to the national team. Rashford has three goals from just 120 minutes at the World Cup and he is currently one of the joint-top scorers.
Earlier today, we covered an opinion stating that Rashford should start over Sterling on current form and it will be interesting to see whether Southgate will consider it.
Sterling was superb for the Three Lions at the European Championships last summer, but his form at club level with Chelsea was far from impressive before the World Cup.
The attacker has one goal from two starts in Qatar but Rashford could be better suited on the left flank against Senegal as he is playing with plenty of confidence behind him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony