Manchester United legend Gary Neville claims the club have been disrespectful with their handling of midfielder Donny van de Beek.
The Dutchman was the club’s first signing of the 2020 summer transfer window, and he was fancied to provide more creativity in the final third.
However, he has hardly played under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The 24-year-old has been restricted to less than 600 minutes of Premier League football.
He was only brought on in the 80th minute of the Manchester derby defeat on Saturday, and Neville has now voiced his frustration over the handling.
Speaking to Sky Sports via Manchester Evening News, he said: “It’s been the strangest situation watching Donny van de Beek’s Manchester United career, almost disrespectful really.”
“Signed for £40m-odd and not given a chance. You can be given a chance and you don’t do well but the boy has hardly played – now he’s in there at centre-midfield alongside [Scott] McTominay.”
Van de Beek has generally played as a central midfielder, but he is also comfortable operating from the number 10 role or a wide attacking position.
Despite this, he has been used sparingly by United. Solskjaer views him as a central midfielder, but he has hardly started him, barring the lesser important cup games.
The Norwegian has publicly said that he trusts Scott McTominay and Fred in midfield, but they have not lived to expectations with their sideways passing and poor defensive awareness.
For now, Van de Beek remains a regular on the substitutes’ bench, and he may push for a January exit if his situation does not improve over the coming weeks.
With the World Cup next winter, the €25 million-rated star needs regular league minutes to earn a recall with Netherlands. Louis van Gaal has been quite clear over the same.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one
- Report: ‘Dazzling’ Benjamin Sesko knows Manchester United want him but PSG blow is last thing Erik ten Hag needs
- Erik ten Hag wants Cody Gakpo at Manchester United