Manchester United legend Gary Neville has said that the club will have ‘big problems’ this season if they don’t bolster their midfield department before the transfer deadline.
The Red Devils started their Premier League campaign with a 1-0 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers, but their performance was far from convincing over 90 minutes.
Raphael Varane scored a late winner for the club, but Wolves had plenty of chances at their disposal. United were fortunate to avoid conceding a penalty in stoppage time.
Against Tottenham Hotspur, they should have had a penalty of their own in the opening half, but the performance after the interval was poor as Spurs won by a 2-0 scoreline.
Speaking on Sky Sports after the game, Neville highlighted that Casemiro has looked lost in the first two games of the new season, and United’s midfield needs bolstering.
He added that manager Erik ten Hag is looking for a new number six to play alongside Casemiro, and the club have to fund it or there will be ‘big problems’ over the season.
He said: “Casemiro looks lost in midfield in these first two matches. What’s clear is that Manchester United’s midfield needs bolstering.”
“Ten Hag wants a number six who can play alongside Casemiro and at the moment the club can’t get players out to be able to fund that.
“If they look at the first two weeks, they have to fund it or there will be big problems. What’s clear is that Ten Hag doesn’t want to revert back to Scott McTominay.”
Casemiro had a tough start to the season versus Wolves. He won just three out of 15 duels and was dispossessed on 17 occasions over 90 minutes.
There was an improvement on his statistics against Spurs. He won seven out of his 12 duels contested and lost possession on only nine occasions.
However, it was clear to see that Spurs duo Yves Bissouma and Pape Matar Sarr had the better of him in the centre of the park with their higher intensity.
Sarr made a late run into the box for the opening goal which Casemiro failed to spot.
Bissouma, on the other hand, made several forward runs without Casemiro’s intervention. The Brazilian definitely needs more support alongside him.
Mason Mount worked hard in the opening half yesterday, but failed to replicate the showing after the break. United need a new holding midfielder.
Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat is deemed to be the priority target for the manager, but a deal depends on whether United can recoup funds from outgoings.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action