Manager Gareth Southgate has admitted that Harry Maguire’s England place is at risk following his struggles at Manchester United this season.
The 30-year-old joined United in a world-record £80 million deal from Leicester City in 2019.
He was impressive during his initial years at Old Trafford, but his levels have dropped recently.
The centre-back has made only 15 Premier League appearances under manager Erik ten Hag this season.
Southgate has stood by Maguire but says he may be unable to maintain this if the defender fails to secure first-team football.
“Inevitably, it’s not a situation that can continue forever,” Southgate said (via The Guardian).
“It’s like Kalvin Phillips. They are important players for us and with Kalvin we haven’t got many players who can play as that single pivot.
Of course, the longer that situation goes on the more concerning it is. We’ve got Marc Guehi, Lewis Dunk, and Tyrone Mings.
“These are players who are playing well without the same experiences of European club football or international football.
“But we’ve got to keep searching for competition in that area of the pitch.”
Maguire needs to leave United this summer
Maguire has endured a difficult season with United. He has started only seven matches in the Premier League, with Ten Hag preferring Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez in central defence.
However, the 30-year-old has failed to regain his place when either has been absent.
The Dutch boss prefers to start Victor Lindelof or left-back Luke Shaw in defence.
The England international will likely push for a move this summer to revive his career.
He is still a decent defender, and many clubs in England have already been linked with an interest in him.
The move would make sense for United, who could recoup some of the massive fee they shelled out on Maguire.
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’