Manchester United are currently an outside bet to finish in the top four this season, and will similarly be up against it in the betting odds next season. Punters can use this NEWBONUS code on Stakebet to bet on United for next season, but a lot of our predictions are going to depend on how the summer goes.
In that context, United fans will be happy to hear England manager Gareth Southgate say that he believes that Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham can take his game to another level if he moves to Premier League.
Bellingham is arguably one of the best young midfielders in Europe following his impressive spell at Dortmund, where he has racked up ten goals and 17 assists in 83 appearances.
The 18-year-old’s stock has also skyrocketed while Premier League giants like Manchester United and Liverpool are reportedly vying for his signature. In addition, La Liga giants Real Madrid are keeping tabs on him.
Cited as the future of the England national team, Southgate heaped praises on Bellingham’s rise to prominence at Dortmund and further insisted that a move to England would help him step up his game.
Southgate, who is currently overseeing Bellingham in the international break, told Manchester Evening News: “The league is definitely a brilliant league for young players and coaches to develop but of course the standard of the Premier League is undoubtedly higher, I think we see that in the European competitions.
“Our top teams are going to be right at the end of the Champions League every year, the financial power of our league is blowing everyone else out of the water so our big teams are going to be the main players in those competitions as they have been in the last years really.
“We’ve talked to him about his game this week. There are things, understandably for any player, for him to work on and for him some specifics we are looking for from him.
“But he is very coachable, wants to learn and is highly motivated. He is already getting brilliant experiences with club and European football already so he’ll be involved in the game and it will be good to see how he does.
“He is developing exceptionally well for a player of his age. He is being asked to play in a number of different positions this year.
“Dortmund have played 3-4-3 where he has been one of the double pivots, 4-3-3 where he plays as one of the 8s and a diamond where he has played on the outside of a diamond. He has different tactical challenges to deal with. The team have been a bit inconsistent.”
Bellingham has so far earned 11 international caps, and he also featured in England’s recent win over Switzerland in the friendlies.
Man Utd are looking to raid Dortmund again for Bellingham after doing so for the transfer of Jadon Sancho last year.
United’s midfield needs a makeover, with Paul Pogba nearing an exit this summer while Nemanja Matic is in the twilight of his career.
As stated by Southgate, Bellingham is comfortable playing as one of the double pivots or as an interior in a three-man midfield, which makes him a great option for the Red Devils.
- Man Utd have excellent chance to sign West Ham star Declan Rice next summer
- Why Man Utd star should replace Spurs defender in Argentina starting XI
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ready for return after re-watching his 168 games in charge of Man Utd
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner