Manchester United welcome Chelsea to Stamford Bridge for tonight’s late Premier League kick-off.
The Red Devils were outclassed by Newcastle United at St James’ Park last weekend. They lost by a solitary goal, but the Magpies could have easily won by a bigger margin.
United will be aiming to return to winning ways against the Blues. They have a brilliant league record against the west Londoners and have not lost to them since late 2017.
Meanwhile, their last league defeat to the Blues at Old Trafford came in 2013. They should go into tonight’s game with plenty of optimism and need to pick up maximum points.
Manager Erik ten Hag has made four changes to the starting line-up from the Tyneside trip.
In defence, Aaron Wan-Bissaka has dropped to the bench. Diogo Dalot, who started at left-back last weekend, will switch positions. Luke Shaw returns to his customary left-back role.
Victor Lindelof will partner Harry Maguire in the heart of the backline. There is no place for Raphael Varane in the starting XI. His exclusion continues to remain a mystery for us.
In the centre of the park, Scott McTominay will be partnered by Sofyan Amrabat. Kobbie Mainoo has fared well in back-to-back league games but the graduate has returned to the bench.
Further forward, there are a couple of big changes. Marcus Rashford has been dropped on the back of his poor showing at St James’ Park. Antony has come in the right-wing position.
Bruno Fernandes and Alejandro Garnacho will continue from the number 10 and left wing roles respectively but Anthony Martial makes way for Rasmus Hojlund up front.
Confirmed Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1): Onana; Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw; Amrabat, McTominay; Antony, Fernandes, Garnacho; Hojlund.
On the opposite side, there are two changes from the 3-2 win over Brighton & Hove Albion at home.
Benoit Badiashile has dropped to the bench with Marc Cucurella getting the nod in the back four. He will start at left-back with Levi Colwill partnering Thiago Silva in central defence.
Club captain Reece James is back after his one-game suspension but he only makes the bench.
Cole Palmer will slot into the number 10 role in the absence of Conor Gallagher, who has been the Blues’ best player this term. The 24-year-old is suspended after his red card last weekend.
Confirmed Chelsea line-up (4-2-3-1): Sanchez; Disasi, Silva, Colwill, Cucurella; Fernandez, Caicedo; Sterling, Palmer, Mudryk; Jackson.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow