Manchester United are set to do a fair bit of business during the January transfer window, at least if reports are to be believed.
A number of players have been both linked with a move to and away from the club.
As we currently trail Manchester City by 15 points in the Premier League it wouldn’t come as a surprise if Jose Mourinho makes a few deals this month to prepare before the start of next season.
One player who has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford in recent months is full-back Matteo Darmian.
The Italian international has only played four Premier League matches this season, starting just two. Despite a large number of absentees for the New Year’s Day victory at Everton, Darmian remained an unused substitute in a game that saw 20-year-old Axel Tuanzebe make his first appearance of the season.
Matteo Darmian joined for £13 million from Torino in 2015 and now reports suggest he could move back to Italy as early as this month, with his agent, Tullio Tinti, admitting there have been enquiries from Serie A teams.
Tinti told Rete Sport:
“I have never received calls from Roma for the player. There are contacts with other Serie A teams, but not with the Giallorossi.”
However, Tinti went on to say that Matteo Darmian is not currently for sale:
“For the moment, the boy is not for sale.”
Whether Tinti’s comments are accurate or whether Manchester United will change their mind over the course of the month remains to be seen. With the limited action the Italian has had so far this season it would be well worth considering cashing in on the 28-year-old whilst there is interest in the player.
Next season we will have Timothy Fosu-Mensah back from his loan deal at Crystal Palace whilst Axel Tuanzebe will have more experience under his belt.
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe now seriously considering buying minority Manchester United stake
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash