Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong is prepared to snub Manchester United for a late summer move to Chelsea, according to The Telegraph.
De Jong has been manager Erik ten Hag’s prime target for the number six position since the beginning of the summer transfer window.
However, it now appears they could lose out on his services with Premier League rivals Chelsea in the driving seat to secure a deal.
As per The Telegraph, De Jong has indicated that the Blues are his preferred destination if he leaves before the transfer deadline.
It is added that the Blues have the assurance of Champions League football which United can’t offer for the current campaign at least.
Furthermore, there is an uncertainty whether the club can finish in the top four, and this has put Chelsea in pole position to sign De Jong.
The 25-year-old is still owed deferred wages and bonuses of over £17m from Barcelona, but the club are open to reaching a compromise.
If that happens, Mike McGrath claims that De Jong could leave Barcelona for £55m upfront.
United unlikely to sign De Jong after yesterday’s humiliation
United have been slow with their transfer business this summer, and have probably left it too late with De Jong. Chelsea seem prepared to pounce.
At the start of August, United would have been optimistic of signing the Netherlands star, but following yesterday’s debacle, their hopes could fade out.
Brentford truly outclassed them to secure a comfortable 4-0 win at home. It was an utter embarrassing display after the Brighton loss last weekend.
If De Jong had a glimpse of yesterday’s showing, he may want to stay far off from United, who look set for another long transition under Ten Hag.
There have been barely any positives to take forward, and things could get worse on August 22 when rivals Liverpool make the Old Trafford trip.
Hence, we are not one bit surprised that De Jong prefers to join Chelsea in the closing weeks of the window.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season