Barcelona ace Frenkie de Jong prefers to join Erik ten Hag’s Manchester United over Chelsea, according to Spanish journalist Manu Sainz.
The Red Devils have made the 25-year-old their top transfer target this summer but have yet to complete the deal.
The Catalans president Joan Laporta insisted recently that the midfielder is not for sale.
However, given de Jong’s contract situation at Barcelona and the deferred payments owed to him, it’s likely that Laporta would be happy with a bidding war over a player they cannot afford to give the mandated pay raise.
It is well known that Barcelona are currently in deep financial trouble, and they need to sell to bring in new talent.
Specifically, with de Jong’s contract, they are pushing the player to accept reduced wages for this season.
However, United’s Premier League rivals Chelsea have emerged as shock contenders for the Netherlands international recently and could hijack the deal for him.
But as a boost to the Red Devils, De Jong prefers a move to Old Trafford over Stamford Bridge.
Sainz claims the 25-year-old’s agent Ali Dursun is in London to meet with the Manchester club.
De Jong will ultimately sign for Manchester United
De Jong enjoys a great relationship with ten Hag, with the pair having worked together at Ajax.
The midfielder was an important member of ten Hag’s team that reached the semi-final of the 2018-19 Champions League.
Chelsea are also in the hunt, but we believe that he will ultimately join the Red Devils due to his relationship with the Dutch manager.
The Blues can offer him Champions League football which is a great attraction for any player.
However, United are not very far behind and could be back in the prestigious competition soon.
They have already signed Tyrell Malacia from Feyenoord, while Christian Eriksen has reportedly verbally agreed to join United and could be announced today.
And most importantly, they have a great coach who has won trophies, improved players and has a clear idea of how he wants his teams to play.
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot