Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong has reacted to fresh links to Manchester United by refusing to rule out a potential move to the Old Trafford club in the future.
The Red Devils manager Erik ten Hag admires the former Ajax star and was desperate to orchestrate a reunion in 2022.
Man United agreed a deal in principle to sign the Netherlands international star, and a €65 million deal was expected to be finalised.
However, the move fell through, and De Jong confirmed in May 2023 that both clubs agreed to a deal.
The midfielder revealed that he was not keen on leaving Barcelona at the time but has left the door open for a potential transfer to Man United.
“I’m at the club of my dreams, Barcelona”, De Jong told Dutch outlet NOS.
Man United could do with De Jong right now given their struggles this term, but the emergence of Kobbie Mainoo could see them change their mind.
The Red Devils reportedly believe that the 18-year-old has plenty of the qualities Ten Hag wanted to sign the Barca midfielder for, and they could look to strengthen other positions instead.
Mainoo has started all six Premier League games he has featured in this season and has largely impressed in each of them.
He was withdrawn at half-time in the 2-1 loss to Nottingham Forest last time out as Man United wanted to attack more.
Many people believe the decision proved costly as the Red Devils lacked grit in the middle of the park after he was removed.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow