Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong has a 90 per cent chance of joining Manchester United this summer, El Chiringuito journalist Jose Alvarez claims.
The Red Devils have earmarked the Netherlands international as their priority midfield target following the recommendation of new manager Erik ten Hag.
The club are currently locked in negotiations for the 25-year-old, but the price tag remains a stumbling block. While they are willing to pay €60 million plus add-ons, Barcelona are eyeing €80m upfront for his services.
There continues to be an impasse due to the difference in valuations between the clubs, but journalist Alvarez claims that there is a 90 per cent chance that the Dutch midfielder will end up at Old Trafford.
Barcelona socios recently approved a couple of economic levers to help cover up the club’s losses, but there are still suggestions that they may need to offload players to make new signings.
However, there does not appear any urgency to do so after the much-needed financial boost. The Catalan giants seem prepared to wait for the right proposal to part ways with De Jong.
The onus is now on United to make a renewed approach for the ball-playing midfielder. Internal discussions seem to be underway, and a fresh proposal could be made over the coming days.
United may ideally want to negotiate a transfer fee in the middle of around €70m, and it remains to be seen whether they can persuade the Blaugrana into sanctioning the Dutchman’s exit.
Ten Hag’s insistence on signing De Jong is unsurprising. The midfielder was a key player under him at Ajax in 2018/19 where they won a Cup and League double and reached the Champions League semi-final.
De Jong excelled with his distribution and ability to win duels from the number 6 spot. He has been inconsistent at Barcelona in a central position, but could play in his preferred role again at Old Trafford.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest