Netherlands star Frenkie de Jong does not like a move to Manchester United despite the club reaching a transfer agreement with Barcelona, according to Sport.
The Red Devils recently agreed a deal worth €75 million plus €10m (£64m + £8.5m) in add-ons with Barcelona for the 25-year-old, but the midfielder has yet to give the green light for the transfer.
On Sunday, The Mirror claimed that De Jong is reluctant to do so until his deferred wages are paid by the Spanish club, but it now appears he has no desire to join the Red Devils.
The Dutchman does not like the prospect of moving to Manchester or playing for United, considering the club’s functioning which has been ‘erratic’ over the past few years.
Meanwhile, the lack of Champions League football is highlighted as the ‘main handicap’, and De Jong would prefer to join a big European club like Bayern Munich instead.
De Jong has also not ruled out a move to Chelsea, but it is claimed that the Blues won’t make an approach for him until they receive a signal that he is willing to leave Barcelona.
United must take a quick decision over De Jong saga
At the weekend, it was reported that manager Erik ten Hag is determined to reunite with De Jong, and is prepared to wait for him rather than pursue a potential alternative.
However, the latest update from Sport is far from positive for United. The hierarchy and Ten Hag have been focused on De Jong for months, but the player has a different stance.
Champions League football has been a priority for the player, and this could be a huge stumbling block for United to sign him, particularly if Chelsea enter the race with a formal bid.
The Red Devils can’t afford to wait until the closing days of the transfer window only for the Blues to hijack the deal. The club must pressurise Barcelona to pay his deferred wages first.
If that happens, De Jong would be free to choose his next destination. United will have a clear idea over his stance at that point, and can quickly move on to an alternative if his answer remains ‘no’.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- West Ham and Everton enter race to sign Man Utd target Jhon Duran
- Saudi Arabian giants make $225m offer to sign Cristiano Ronaldo
- Man Utd have to pay €60m to sign Inter Milan star Denzel Dumfries
- It’s Man Utd’s Varane vs Eriksen as France take on Denmark in an enthralling World Cup clash
- Erik ten Hag wants Man Utd to sign Cody Gakpo in January, Rafael Leao is the alternative
- Man Utd great candidates to sign Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix in January
- Harry Maguire impresses for England in World Cup stalemate against USA
- Man Utd have Jonathan David on their radar, Lille would sell him for €50m
- Four Irish Players United Could Sign Next
- Man Utd ready to step up chase for €60m-rated Cody Gakpo