Manchester United’s chances of signing Frenkie de Jong seem bleak after the Netherlands international reiterated his long-term commitment to Barcelona.
The Red Devils were determined to land the Netherlands international from the Catalan giants in the summer and they agreed a deal worth £74 million.
However, De Jong made it clear that he did not want to leave the club and continued to maintain the same stance until the summer transfer deadline.
The Dutchman has since evolved into a key player for manager Xavi Hernandez, and speaking to De Telegraaf, he has now said that he is very happy.
The former Ajax man added that he wants to stay at the club for as long as possible. He has plans of continuing with them for another eight or 10 years.
He said: ‘I am very happy in Barcelona. When I play it’s great and in terms of living here life is perfect. I see myself at Barcelona for as long as possible. I personally hope for another eight or 10 years.”
Man Utd should move on from De Jong
After missing out on De Jong last summer, United quickly moved to sign Casemiro from Real Madrid.
The Brazilian had a tough start to his United career where he was a regular on the bench, but came into his own after the last international break with stand-out displays.
The midfield rebuild should continue next summer with another marquee signing. Erik ten Hag still wants to land De Jong but in our view, the club are unlikely to persuade him.
De Jong’s ball control, strong passing and dribbling abilities would be perfect alongside Casemiro, but it is quite clear that the Dutchman has no desire whatsoever to leave Barcelona.
Hence, United must avoid another approach for him. They should make an ambitious move for Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham instead if they qualify for the Champions League.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract