Manchester United are on the verge of finalising the transfer of Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, Sky Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg claims.
The Red Devils have been in prolonged negotiations for the Dutchman in recent weeks, and they are now on the cusp of reaching an agreement with Barcelona.
Yesterday, Fabrizio Romano confirmed that there is an agreement over the fixed fee of €65 million (£56m), but talks are ongoing over the structure of the add-ons of around €20m (£17m).
Plettenberg has now provided a further update by confirming that ‘the deal in the final stages’ and there is a possibility that De Jong could be presented this weekend.
De Jong has been manager Erik ten Hag’s priority target this summer, and it appears United are finally on the cusp of securing his signature from Barcelona.
The pursuit has been far from smooth, but it has been successful, considering the club have backed their head coach in landing his main transfer target.
In the ongoing negotiations for De Jong, United have also managed to seal the deal for Feyenoord’s Tyrell Malacia, who was close to joining Lyon at one point of time.
With both players sharing the same agent, the Red Devils were able to hijack Lyon’s move for the left-back with a 11th hour bid, which has pleased several fans.
The club are currently more close to landing Malacia over De Jong, but they are likely to announce the latter’s arrival first with him being the marquee signing.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot