Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong has confirmed that the club held negotiations with Manchester United over his potential transfer last summer.
The Red Devils were determined to sign the Netherlands international 12 months ago. The 26-year-old was a top target for manager Erik ten Hag.
After several rounds of negotiations, United were able to agree a transfer fee with the Blaugrana for De Jong but they could not finalise personal terms.
De Jong was adamant that he did not want to leave the Catalan giants and he has now disclosed the same in an exclusive interview with NOS.
He said (via Reshad Rahman): “The club was in a difficult situation and they could have sold me for a big fee, they wanted to. But I didn’t want to go and stayed. Man United spoke with Barça, even though I wanted to stay. I want to be at Barça for as long as I can.”
United should avoid fresh approach for De Jong
De Jong was identified as Ten Hag’s top target last summer. The Dutch tactician wanted to reunite with his former Ajax star due to his excellent passing and ball control.
However, a transfer did not materialise after a prolonged transfer saga. United eventually signed Casemiro from Real Madrid. The Brazilian has been outstanding.
Casemiro has managed 13 goal contributions from 50 appearances. The 31-year-old has also excelled with his ability to win regular duels and tackles for the club.
It has been reported that Ten Hag is still keen on signing De Jong but in our opinion, the manager should look elsewhere as the midfielder has no desire to leave Camp Nou.
Instead of the €60 million-rated star, United should focus on Brighton & Hove Albion’s Alexis Mac Allister, who is in the prime of his career and a Premier League-proven player.
Liverpool have been heavily linked with the World Cup winner but reports have recently claimed that the Argentine wants to join a Champions League club if he leaves Brighton.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season