Many reports suggest that Manchester United have agreed a £43 million transfer for Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred.
The Brazilian had been strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford over the past couple of months.
Jose Mourinho was already expected to sign two new central midfielders this summer with Michael Carrick retiring and Maourane Fellaini set to leave on a free transfer. Fred will seemingly fill one of these gaps.
However, it now appears that the player will not officially move until after this summer’s World Cup which doesn’t end until seven weeks – Sunday 15 July. That’s because Fred has been quoted in the Express as saying he will decide his future after the World Cup.
When asked about a summer transfer, Fred said:
“Maybe after the World Cup I will make the choice.
“Now I am only thinking about the World Cup.”
Fred is part of the 23-man Brazil squad for this summer’s World Cup and the national team are scheduled to play a friendly at Anfield next week which could have been an opportunity for the player to agree personal terms and pass a medical but it appears the 25-year-old is fully focused on the international scene right now.
- Tactical Analysis: Hugely encouraging signs in Ralf Rangnick’s debut against Crystal Palace
- Man Utd fans delighted with Fred’s stand-out display against Crystal Palace
- Ralf Rangnick heaps praise on Fred and Scott McTominay after Crystal Palace win
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return