Manchester United suffered another blow to their Champions League ambitions as they settled for a frustrating 1-1 Premier League draw against Leicester City at Old Trafford on Saturday.
The Red Devils had the opportunity to close the four-point gap to fourth-placed Arsenal, who have a game in hand. However, they were unable to fully capitalise after another frustrating stalemate.
Kelechi Iheanacho put the Foxes in front with a terrific headed goal in the 63rd minute. Just minutes later, Fred equalised for United from a rebound off a Bruno Fernandes shot saved by Kasper Schmeichel.
United never looked like finding the winning goal, but they had some good fortune in the end. The Foxes appeared to have scored a late winner, but the goal was chalked off by VAR for a foul in the lead-up.
It was another disappointing showing from the club’s attackers, but there were some positives from the game. David de Gea was once again splendid and came up with a superb fingertip save to deny Wesley Fofana.
Meanwhile, Fred was the best outfield player for the Red Devils. Aside from his goal, the Brazilian created a superb opening for Fernandes in the first half, but the Portuguese squandered his one-on-one chance.
The Brazilian has been one of the better performing outfield players since Ralf Rangnick took interim charge in December. In the lead-up to his close-range goal, he also created the chance for Fernandes.
Fred finished the game with 86 touches while completing 89 per cent passes. He won seven ground duels alongside two tackles and two interceptions. The 29-year-old also managed four take-ons.
It was another credible showing from the midfielder but unfortunately, the collective performance from the team was not good enough. United’s top-four hopes have taken a huge hit with the stalemate.
Arsenal could go six points clear of them with a victory at Crystal Palace. Mikel Arteta’s side will still have a game in hand. United fans will be hoping that the Gunners slip up at Selhurst Park.
Stats from SofaScore.com
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final