Manchester United may bring back Netherlands forward Memphis Depay to Old Trafford if the club fails to sign Erling Braut Haaland in the summer.
A report from Manchester Evening News claims that manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Technical Director John Murtough see Haaland as their priority striker.
However, they have listed Depay as a potential contingency plan if the deal for the Borussia Dortmund star does not work out.
The 27-year-old Dutch international was one of the biggest signings of the Louis van Gaal era when he arrived in 2015, but his stay at the club ended after just 18 months.
The former PSV star failed to shine in the Premier League, scoring just seven goals in 53 appearances for United.
Keeping Depay’s potential in mind, United added a buy-back clause in his contract when he was sold to Ligue 1 club Lyon in January 2017.
Depay only has a few months left in his current deal, and he could return to United as a free agent in the summer.
Red Rants view
There is no doubt Depay would be a great addition to the club. He has learnt a lot from his younger days and blossomed into an excellent player.
He has found success playing as a centre forward in France and bringing him back to Old Trafford on a free transfer could be a sensible move.
However, if United acquire Depay they must resist the temptation to play him on the wing at that would be a backwards step for a player who has proven his worth more centrally.
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona