Former Manchester United star Wayne Rooney is set to be appointed as the new manager of DC United.
The 36-year-old is currently without a job since leaving Derby County last month. He stepped down from his position after the Rams suffered relegation to League One.
However, the former England international now looks set to make a swift return to management.
According to The Athletic, Rooney has reached an agreement with the MLS club to take over as their new manager.
A top manager
Rooney has a special place in the hearts of all United fans. He is the Red Devils’ record goalscorer, having struck an incredible 253 goals in 559 appearances across all competitions.
The forward also claimed five Premier League titles and a Champions League trophy while at Old Trafford.
Many footballers have struggled when entering management following their retirement from playing. However, Rooney is one of the few who has thrived both as a player and a manager.
Derby failed to secure Championship survival, but he was praised for his incredible work at Pride Park.
The Rams were docked 21 points for entering administration and breaching EFL accounting rules. However, he still made a monumental effort to keep them in the Championship only to fall short in the end, with the team finishing 23rd in the table.
The conditions at Pride Park were awful, with the former United star even having to pay for training equipment himself at one point. Due to the lack of transfer budget, he had to rely on academy players.
Considering these disadvantages, Rooney did a great job at Derby.
He will now take his fighting spirit to DC United, where he was a player between 2018 and 2020.
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot