However, the Spaniard declined their short-term offer and remains a free agent having been without a club since leaving the Red Devils last summer.
Forest tried to persuade De Gea that there could be value in playing regular football, but he was not convinced and will continue looking for a new club.
The Man United legend has been linked with moves to the Saudi Pro League and Major League Soccer since becoming a free agent, but he is still without a club.
Forest have moved on, signing Belgian international Matz Sels yesterday, so the former Red Devils goalie is unlikely to return to the Premier League anytime soon.
Having spent 12 seasons with Man United, it seems that the former Spain international has no desire to play for any other Premier League team.
The six-month deal the City Ground club offered him may not have been attractive to De Gea, and the 33-year-old could decide to retire if no sensible offers come in.
It remains a surprise that the Red Devils hero is still without a club six months after leaving Old Trafford, but his demands will likely be too high for most suitors.
Talks over a new deal for De Gea at Man United collapsed in the end after both parties could not agree to terms of an extension.#
While his successor Andre Onana has largely struggled since his arrival, manager Erik ten Hag will have no regrets about letting the Spaniard leave.
The former Atletico Madrid star was starting to struggle and was making schoolboy errors during his last two seasons at the club, so it was best for both parties to part ways, and Man United fans are waiting to see which decision he makes next.
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy