Manchester United had a forgettable Premier League outing against Liverpool on Sunday as they were embarrassed by a 7-0 scoreline at Anfield.
The Red Devils had a good opening half against their arch-rivals but went behind before the interval following a counter-attacking goal from Cody Gakpo.
After the break, the hosts scored two quick-fire goals to kill the game but no one expected United to capitulate the way they did in the second half.
Erik ten Hag was left angry and surprised by the 7-0 rout and in his post-match comments, he was critical over the lack of tracking back from his players.
United have no time to ponder with the first leg of the Europa League last 16 tie against Real Betis on Thursday. Here are five changes that could happen.
Diogo Dalot and Luke Shaw had difficult outings from their full-back roles and Ten Hag may consider changes in both positions for Betis’ trip to Old Trafford.
We could see Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Tyrell Malacia replacing the duo in the starting line-up.
In midfield, Casemiro may probably have a new partner. We anticipate Fred to make way for Marcel Sabitzer, who was restricted to a late cameo yesterday.
Wout Weghorst has had positive moments for United with his link-up play lately but at Anfield, he was virtually non-existent before being substituted by Ten Hag.
The same could be said for Antony. Barring his early shot saved by Alisson Becker, he struggled to impose himself in the game and lost possession on 18 occasions.
In our opinion, Alejandro Garnacho and Jadon Sancho could feature ahead of the duo. Garnacho is likely to get the nod on the left wing with Sancho in the number 10 role.
The plan to play Fernandes from the left flank clearly did not work at Anfield. The Portuguese is more effective from the right where he can cut inside and influence play.
United will be aiming for a strong response on the back of the Anfield humbling but Betis won’t be an easy opposition. They recently drew 0-0 against Real Madrid at home.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books
- ‘High hopes’: Lionel Scaloni speaks about Alejandro Garnacho’s future with Argentina