Benfica are planning to secure the signing of Manchester United left-back Alvaro Fernandez in the next few hours, according to today’s edition of Record.
The Spanish defender is currently on a season-long loan at Granada from the Red Devils, but the club have the option of breaking the agreement this month.
Benfica have been linked with Fernandez on many occasions over the past few weeks and Record claim that the club have accelerated their transfer pursuit.
Signing a new left-back is the ‘main priority’ for Benfica after purchasing Marcos Leonardo, and they are now preparing their ‘final attack’ to recruit Fernandez.
It is reported that Benfica could close the deal for the 20-year-old in the ‘next few hours’.
United must include sell-on & buy-back clause in Fernandez sale
Fernandez was involved for the Red Devils during pre-season and there were suggestions that he could break into the first-team after a knee injury for Tyrell Malacia.
However, that was not the case. United signed Sergio Reguilon from Tottenham Hotspur to fill the void left by Malacia and they were happy to loan out Fernandez.
Reguilon has returned to Spurs after a break clause in his contract was triggered, but manager Erik ten Hag seems content with the current options at his disposal.
Diogo Dalot and Luke Shaw can both operate from the left-back position. Malacia is also not far away from making his long-awaited comeback from his injury.
Hence, we won’t be surprised if Fernandez leaves. His contract expires in June as things stand.
It has been reported that he could be sold for €7 million, but the fee could be less if United want a sell-on clause.
In our view, United need to negotiate a sell-on and buy-back clause for their graduate. If Benfica decline a buy-back option, the club should request a first refusal on a future transfer.
Benfica have transformed several emerging talents into potential world-beaters. Fernandez with his good potential could develop into a key player for the Portuguese champions.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow