Feyenoord favourite Willem van Hanegem has urged Santiago Gimenez to make the switch to Real Madrid or Manchester United during the prime of his career.
The Mexico international had a fantastic 2022/23 campaign with Feyenoord, registering 28 goals and three assists from 50 appearances across all competitions.
He has continued his excellent form this term with 12 goals and two assists from just nine games.
This has led to speculation that he could pursue a bigger challenge and speaking to Feyenoord Nieuws, Van Hanegem has said that he has the qualities to play for United.
He said: “He has the qualities to play at the absolute top, in England or Spain. It would be great if he plays for Real Madrid or Manchester United. He will only remain at Feyenoord for the time being. Everyone likes him very much; he doesn’t get nervous when he misses an opportunity.”
“He doesn’t get desperate, for example he could have made 15 or 16 already. That’s how you look at him, because he has those qualities. He doesn’t get stuck in it, that’s a sign that things are going well in his head. He remains calm, he knows he will be a top scorer.”
Gimenez could be a future option for United
The Red Devils currently have Rasmus Hojlund as the undisputed starter up front after his move from Atalanta. He has already netted three Champions League goals.
The 20-year-old has the potential to go right to the top, but manager Erik ten Hag may want a solid competitor in future with Anthony Martial struggling to impress.
The Frenchman missed a staggering 29 games with injuries last term. This season, he has been a regular off the bench, but has barely had an impact for the Red Devils.
Martial’s current deal expires at the end of the season. United have the option to extend his £250,000-a-week contract for another year, but may choose to release him.
In such a case, United could realistically consider an approach for Gimenez. He won’t come on the cheap, however, with Feyenoord looking for around £43 million for his sale.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions