Ferguson rips into City, and also talks other stuff

I’ve been trying my best to sidestep the ‘intelligent’ mudslinging happening between the two Manchester clubs.[I am of course talking about this] It could be passed off as ‘passion’, and ‘banter’, but really it has got a lot more mileage than it deserved. But since Tim Rich — continuing in what seems like a rather productive-looking Asian assignment for him — pulled off a fantastic interview with the manager, I think I’ll have to allow myself to be sucked into this.

“It’s City isn’t it? They are a small club with a small mentality. All they can talk about is Manchester United; they can’t get away from it. That arrogance will be rewarded. It is a go at us, that’s the one thing it is. They think taking Carlos Tev*z away from Manchester United is a triumph. It is poor stuff.”

And poor stuff indeed. There has been far too much going around with the Tev*z transfer and it has reached a level of silliness. Now Ferguson’s quotes will be put down as him allowing City to get to him, or rather, obsessing about City. But what would be ignored is that those comments were a direct reply to a question put to him. And there really was no two ways about it. Small club. Hence small club mentality etc.

The advertising campaign by City was quite obviously a concerted effort at trying to get under the skin of their rivals. In essence though, there’s little new in it; the time-worn reference to how United is not within city limits etc. But the fact is they are still a few defenders away from a decent, albeit unbalanced, team. The fact is players like Adebayor — as detestable as they may be — still had an iota of conscience to contact us and Chelsea before ultimately settling for Man City some handy wages. The fact is, Samuel Eto’o balked on going to City despite their FM-style wages.

And hence, to borrow from one of the other posters, I pity the fools that went to that club. They may yet prove everyone wrong and break into the top four. They may yet become title contenders in two years. But right now, they are a small club that behave like a small club; seizing on moments like the Tev*z incident to score some points. Another fact: Manchester is Red, despite City fans’ claims. And so what if they claim that the majority of United fans are outside Manchester? Tell that to their owners, who are quite obviously Mancunians who wear tea-towels over their heads just to look like Arabs [never mind their ambitions to build a fan base in Asia, North America, Mars etc.]

The manager also took time to lay into Tev*z. The Argentine seemed to have far too much time to obsess about Ferguson. It was only fair that he had some response come his way. When asked about players roles for the next season, in order to make up for the loss of Ronaldo and Tev*z he said, “Nani will improve, although he is not as mature as Ronaldo was at his age. I expect Anderson to improve and Darren Fletcher to establish himself as a big player in our squad. [Michael] Owen will get me goals, [Dimitar] Berbatov will be much better. And I don’t have to deal with a certain person who is miserable because he is not playing.” Wafer-thin veils used over there, if any.

He also talks about Wenger, Rafa among other things. It’s entertaining as always, but a bit boring for me to parse them any further. I’ve done the juicy bits, you can do the reading of the rest of the interview for yourselves now. Peace.

* * *

Some interesting links (and some house announcements) you might be, well, interested to peruse:

1. An extremely objective piece on Liverpool-Kop, chastising Liverpool fans for jumping with joy over the Gerrard-ruling.

2. Scott draws a comparison of British and English XIs among Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, City and us. (I don’t know why he should even consider City — they don’t deserve to be talked in the same breath as the others in the big four.)

3. And if you haven’t already noticed, I have been quietly running another blog, for thoughts on football as such and occasionally, some other sports I follow. It won’t be as regularly updated as this one (if you can call this blog regularly updated, in the first place.) But let me present you, Throw-ins.

4. As a reminder, we are on twitter — and are rather active on it, posting 140 character-delimited thoughts throughout the day. Feel free to follow us there. However if you are not the twittering type, but are instead quite Facebook-y in your outlook towards life then you should consider getting in touch with a psychiatrist following us on our facebook page.

5. Soccerlens addresses a host of issues from Gerrard, to Beckham and the Galaxy. An entertaining read.

* * *

Note: City fans looking to spew venom aren’t welcome. You don’t have to bother commenting if you are not interested in an objective discussion.

26 July 2009 at 23:32

This blog really needs a troll to liven it up. 🙄

26 July 2009 at 23:36

@NicoQB: I will say this. United are playing a much different game and they look far less predictable now that Ronaldo is gone. I love the way Berbatov is the linchpin in the middle and he seems to be relishing his new found confidence as well as role. Today we played a crappy opponent but there was a real elegant Cantonesque quality to his game and he was involved directly and indirectly it seems in all of the first six goals. I thought he was magnificent and seemed to have a real radar for making the right play. Lets see how this translates to the EPL and CL.

26 July 2009 at 23:42

@NicoQB: There were no words exchanged between me and Craig. As far as I know he and I are still buddies. I do know that he made a general remark on how he was sick of some of the negativity regarding Fergie and the lack of signings and I know that I am probably the guiltiest party during that period of rants. So he may have been pissed off with me directly but he never said so. I just hope he comes back because he’s a good bloke and always there for some laughs and some passionate football banter.

26 July 2009 at 23:44

@NicoQB: Fergie finally wakes up to what the Grognard was saying from day one of last season. Just confirms to me that I should be in charge at OT. 😉 😉 😀 😀

26 July 2009 at 23:46

@Grognard: @Grognard: The thing is that blog community needs personalities like that to stay afloat. I tend to think that boring people like me are rather dispensable (I hope not!), but commentors like Craig – a real life Dave from Newcastle if we’ve met one, Eddy – aspiring pro footballer and already a Fifa09 champ, Dan – champion of youth graduates and yourself – do you really need a description 😉 😈 – give this blog a peculiar character as well as a sense of identity and belonging many others are devoid of.

By the way Fred the Red too seems to have gone missing recently.

26 July 2009 at 23:54

@Grognard: I would rather not!!! 😆 😆 😆

Not for the first time though, we people at redrants have been vindicated. Seriously though this blog must be one of the most concise and informed in terms of proper understanding of United’s game.

Nani – who was dissed on many other footy blogs – to vindicate us even more? 🙂

7. Footy4Eddy

27 July 2009 at 00:10

@Grognard: To be honest I was also quite pissed off at you for some of your statements. But decided not to comment on them because I was afraid you might have been correct. But sometimes you just have to live with your negativity at times, because it can be vital in bringing you down to earth and face reality. Plus, it is a great opportunity to make you eat your own words! 😆 😉

8. Anthony Los

27 July 2009 at 00:56

@Grognard: thats y im so pissed off

27 July 2009 at 01:03

@NicoQB: You are correct that a blog needs characters like us to give it a real personality. I wouldn’t put down your contributions though. Just because you are not as extroverted or as blustery as me and others doesn’t mean you have any less value. You give the blog balance. Hopefully Craig will be back soon. I’m sure he will be.

27 July 2009 at 01:08

@Footy4Eddy: You seem so certain that my negativity was wrong. I’m not so certain of that and it may be I who watches you eat your words. As for you being pissed off mate, well if I told many on this site how many times I have been pissed off at them for certain things, well then I’d have no friends at all. Being pissed off is a harsh term between friends. I’d rather we way say we just strongly disagree with each other on occasion. Besides, I’m never wrong. 😉 😀

27 July 2009 at 02:26

@Grognard: You’re missing the point mate. If you don’t ask the questions, you’ll never get the answers!!
    If you blindly assume that what you read or hear is correct, then the path you follow will be always a crooked one.
    If you leave it to them, you become ovine by nature, and without true conviction.
    Ask the hard questions, and if they are irrelevant, you’ve done nothing wrong. Follow the herd, and you are only baa-ing in the wind, or falling off the cliff!! 🙂 🙂

27 July 2009 at 02:59

@NicoQB: The Zen master says, “and then”!!

Because the questions and the answers are only relevant to history!! Fuck it man, Nani scored a goal today, “and then” he’s vindicated by his backers, then in the next game he sucks a lolly-pop, “and then” he’s pounded by his detractors!!! Who you gonna believe??

When a player passes mustard over a period of time, we can then begin to talk about his worth. Good, bad or otherwise, and until then,….., I’d say,…. “and then”!! 🙂

27 July 2009 at 03:20

Do we need Villa?? I say we do!! We did score 8 goals today and it put most of our minds in a euphoric state. My god, Giggs had a hattrick and MO7 is our new hero. Berbatov proved that he looks good compared with stuff made in China, and Rooney is still wondering why he works harder for United than he needs to with England.

I’d say bring him on, the more the merrier and with a tough PL schedule the chances of injury runs very high!! 🙂

14. godzilla

27 July 2009 at 06:01

Dan: I think when most people say Foster is not good enough its relative to the quality expected at United. He might be a good keeper but he is just not United material. He makes too many mistakes and that is one area i will be surprised if we dont show weakness at during the coming season. we need a good GK asap! not next season. and make a bid for Essien just to make some good tabloid reading for a few days !! 🙂

15. spizzy

27 July 2009 at 08:19

Lets hope van der sar gets us one more season and doesn’t concede for 25 hours. Roonie needs to play for England so he can get his form back, he always comes back blazing after playing for england. Im tired of this soap opera happening between ferguson and tevez and city,fergie should just keep off and let the small club do it’s business 😡 .We’l know the kind of team we have when we play more serious opposition in the coming weeks, I haven’t watched any of the pre season matches but from what i gather the teams we’ve been playing have been absolute shite and we still managed to leak goals.Ever since santa cruz ended our defensive run, united’s defense has been absolutely mediocre,maybe we need to look for a defender 💡

16. donibrasco

27 July 2009 at 10:47

@spizzy: I have had alot of concern for Rooney.For me he has not turned into the player i expected.When he burst on the team,he was way ahead of Ronaldo but look at them now,Ronaldo is on another universe.Rooney remains a good player but thats it.And i think he doesnt take care of his body like he should which is a problem.

17. fred

27 July 2009 at 10:57

i’m a united fan and a tevez fan. i loved it when tevez played for united last year and felt fustrated when he sat on the bench. however i agree that saf has more than earned the right to make the calls he made. i laughed at the comments that he was clueless against barcelona in cl final by the so called experts. however i also think that man united tried to get tevez on the cheap. i dont think that was the right way to treat a man utd player who always gave his all. i for one wish tevez does well with city. of course not against us. in a way it will be strange watching city and hoping one of its players does well.

27 July 2009 at 11:10

@Redrich: I would rather Silva than Villa any day of the week. Silva, Nani and Valencia on rotation would be boss.

19. colver

27 July 2009 at 11:29

It is a bit naive to assume our goalscoring problems are taken care of just because we scored eight goals against a poor Chinese team. Lets see how many goals we score in the Audi cup against GOOD opposition.

It is also a mistake to get too excited about Nani and Berbatov’s form. It is easy for skillful players to look good against weak opposition when you get loads of time on the ball and are up against poor defenders.

20. spizzy

27 July 2009 at 12:08

@donibrasco: I hear he’s supposed to be the main man now,and united are to build the team around him.It will be interesting to see how many goals he gets but i don’t think he’ll be a prolific goal scorer even if he’s put right in the box :cry:.I think fergie knows this that’s why he opted to play CR7 (a winger)as a striker and roonie(striker) on the left wing in the final.Hopefully owen and berba will form a partnership like Torres,Gerard and they’ll score awesome goals. I read a post above that roonie hasn’t quite paired with anyone in the squad. berba-owen,kiko-danny

21. tevez

27 July 2009 at 12:28

@spizzy: Ronaldo played up front in the final because fergie couldn’t afford to give him his free role from the wing against barcelona. Ronaldo was our best bet for creating something so shove him up top where he doesn’t have to work as much tracking back. Rooney on the wing because he’s more willing to, and far more adept at, helping teammates and playing within a defensive set-up.
    Rooney can play with anyone. If berbatov and owen are too good to ignore as a partnership though, play rooney in centre midfield.

22. spizzy

27 July 2009 at 13:20

@tevez: Don’t get me wrong, i love rooney,he epitomizes what a united player should be,temperament and all,but slotting rooney in the midfield doesn’t sit well with me.It’s a case of accommodating a player who isn’t good enough to play where we want him.Roonie should up his game or sit on the bench like tevez did. If he cant carry the team then let him, owen and berba all compete and let the best two play upfront.No special favours.Plus we have natural midfielders in ando,carrick,gibo and hagrieves,throw in scholes and giggsy coz im sure they aren’t ready to hang their boots just yet, even though every fan out there thinks its time they bowed out.

23. tevez

27 July 2009 at 14:36

@spizzy: No chance rooney will be a bench player. He’s too good. Rooney will perform so berbatov and owen will have to show something really special to take a starting place away from him up front. Even then, he will be accomodated in another position because he is that good and that important and influential to the team. It’s not a special favour to gift him an automatic starting spot. If berbatov and owen hit it off to the point where their partnership cannot be ignored, it is worth finding another place for rooney in the team because he can still offer more than all the midfield players you listed.

24. gator

27 July 2009 at 16:43

@tevez: saf already said owen will be saved and played only evry ten days or so instead of what Newcastle were asking of him. so roon is in no danger of loosing games.

27 July 2009 at 21:18

@gator: Rooney is always burned out by April each year. He simply runs his arse off and then some. To spell him, occasionally, on the bench, would be no punishment it would be doing him and the team a favor!!
    Don’t forget it’s WC at the end of this upcoming season and I’m sure he’ll value the rest, from time to time!!

28 July 2009 at 00:21

@Traverse: I think Silva can play attacking CMF as well as winger. Am I right??

28 July 2009 at 00:26

@Traverse: Either one would be a great goal scoring addition. I just think we’re in more need of a potent striker than another winger!!

28. jamie lee

29 July 2009 at 16:44

why is there a group of people so critical of rooney? didnt he score 23+ last season, even when played out wide a few times? and wasnt it berba who didnt really perform, yet not a few people above are claiming owen and berb will be a fantastic partnership and rooney will have to up his game!! but am i right in saying owen and rooney havent had a chance of playing up top together yet to form a partnership?

its going to be rooney and whovever else up top, hes our future caption and for all the rooney doubters watch him score near 30 next season.