Ferguson on mid-season trips: last season & this season

Just two clips for today. Some curious bit of stuff from Ferguson.

This year on the FA’s proposed England friendly in Qatar:

‘All the international managers have their jobs to do and we support that, particularly when it comes to the issue of competitive games like the European Championships or the World Cup. It’s very important that these players play for their countries.

But friendly games are a different matter. I don’t think that anyone agrees with them if you’re a league coach.

‘I think that some international managers could do without the friendly games themselves, but the football associations from every country warn them that sometimes it’s a nice day for them, a nice trip, a sunny day, and in some cases it creates good revenue for them.’

Last year we had to go to Japan for the World Club championship and were already swamped with fixtures. And we had the tiny little jaunt to Saudi Arabia to play a friendly. Ferguson surely would have expressed similar frustration with that?

“The one thing I am sure about is that this trip won’t do us any harm. We’ve gone to other countries in the past. Sometimes it doesn’t work, you get back and have a bad result, and you can say we should have done this or that. But we’re back on Thursday and that gives us three days to prepare for Tottenham.”

I guess it all boils down to PR, eh?

31 October 2009 at 03:26

OK, Ronny has finally crossed the line with me and now I am pissed off. What the Hell is he thinking? 😡

31 October 2009 at 03:52

@Grognard: Sucks for you! 😆 😆 😆

31 October 2009 at 04:19

@Grognard: If this actually happened it would be the most asinine venture that I could imagine.
    Rooney in Madrid, is like puting Beckham in LA. 😯 😯 😯

31 October 2009 at 05:47

@Redrich: So what you are saying is……it’s possible? 😯 God, I hope not. I know Rooney is united for life but even my loyalty has been shaken to it’s core this year and he cannot be enjoying the game we are currently playing. All it’s going to take is one bust up or loss of temper towards the Boss. And right now, I wouldn’t put it past anyone because there are a lot of frail and bruised ego’s at OT and so anything is possible when the Empire is in decay.

31 October 2009 at 06:20

@Grognard: I think what I was saying is that Rooney would destroy his career, or put it in serious jeopardy by considering such a move.
    He’s really still just a kid, but I think one that is influenced by the mature guidance of both by his manager and now his wife.
    Money and fame is another thing and if his ultimate goal is this, then we could expect a move south.
    I don’t think so though, I think Rooney is the real thing, and expect him to be the Gascoigne of his generation, (without the drama) and with some support from those around him, he could astound his strongest critics!!

6. Footy4Eddy

31 October 2009 at 10:21

@Grognard: Never gonna happen, same possibily as me going to Liverpool or Royston Maurice Keane playing CM for Arsenal next year. 😆

7. MANUCHO

31 October 2009 at 10:41

@Grognard: I think he has realized that with the bunch of overinflated egos like Benzema and player-coaches like Raul he will probably win sweet fuck-all. He knows the fire that Rooney brings into games but sorry Ronny my boy, Rooney is not gonna come to sacrifice his ass for you the way he did for you at Old Trafford. So what next-Please Sir Alex come coach Madrid, in the future you never know! 😛 Cant have your cake and eat it, eh?

31 October 2009 at 11:51

@Redrich: Strikers starved of opportunities will never get a chance to start to gel and play well.

In my opinion, every problem we have at United (misfiring attack, dodgy defence) can be traced back to our underperforming central midfield. Sir Alex is partly responsible in this.
    Because our attackers are starved of service, they drop back in midfield and end up not as effective as they should be.

9. Taehr

31 October 2009 at 12:44

Almost every problem we have will always trace back to rotation. It fucks up players

10. RMJ

31 October 2009 at 13:20

Ronaldo is getting lonely at Madrid 😉 …and i think he finally realized there is something fundamentally wrong in the Madrid setup…either Rooney will never leave or be allowed to leave..he is quintessentially our “franchise player” these days

11. spizzy

31 October 2009 at 13:36

United to win 4-0

31 October 2009 at 13:40

We’ve got drawn Spurs at Old Trafford in the Cariling Cup. That’ll be a toughie.