Sir Alex Ferguson has made a few things clear about his plans for our central midfielders today, and it answered some questions (and debunked some rumours doing the rounds lately).
When asked about Carrick and Anderson, he said, “there are no issues at all.”
“Michael wasn’t involved against Birmingham or Wigan because we played Burnley on the Wednesday and it was a chance to freshen up. That’s exactly what he did. We also had [Darren] Fletcher and [Paul] Scholes back [for Wigan}, so it was just a matter of freshening it up. Anderson was also left out. I read stuff about a dust-up with Anderson which is absolute rubbish. Absolute nonsense.”
He also spoke about Gibson, which should encourage the lad, and make us expect a lot more appearances from him this season. “We are also trying to push Gibson on as much as we can because the boy has improved at a fantastic rate of knots. We’ve been really impressed with him. That’s the reason. There’s no reason other than that.”
Other than a dramatic turnaround, that should put to rest any speculation on us making more signings in central midfield this summer. Speaking of midfielders, Hargreaves is expected to return in late September.
And finally, for sake of completeness on midfielders, here is an article in the Guardian on Darren Fletcher; Louise Taylor being the latest to latch onto the praise-Darren-Fletcher bandwagon — something we’ve banged on about for a long time.
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?