Sir Alex Ferguson has described Michael Carrick as the best English midfielder during an interview with Clare Balding for a BT Sport Christmas Day special.
Fergie, who signed Carrick from Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2006, claimed the 33-year-old is the best English central midfielder at the moment. The former Spurs man has been influential in United’s six-game winning run that came to an end against Aston Villa on Saturday, with Louis Van Gaal deploying him at centre-back in some occasions.
“I think Michael Carrick is the best centre midfield player in English football,” said Ferguson.
“I think he’s the best English player in the game. I think Robin Van Persie, the World Cup had maybe taken a little bit out of him, but you watch him in the second half, he’ll be fine.
“Rooney is back flying and Rooney will always get you a goal, and that’s always an advantage when a team has got a goalscorer in a team.
“The one that’s most pleasing to me of the present lot is David De Gea. When we bought him he was a kid, he was skinny, but he had an ability. He’s got special talents, and it’s shown.”
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United