Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has provided a fresh injury update on Marcel Sabitzer following the club’s 2-0 Premier League win over Nottingham Forest.
The Austria international recently scored a brace against Sevilla in the Europa League and there were no surprises that he was picked in the starting XI versus Forest.
However, the 29-year-old was forced to withdraw following an injury during the warm up. Christian Eriksen had to replace him in the line-up within a short notice.
Speaking to BBC Sport after the game, Ten Hag revealed that the midfielder ‘felt something’ and it was not worth taking the risk by playing him.
The Red Devils boss added that the Austrian’s condition will be assessed tomorrow, he said: “Sabitzer came off in the warm up, he felt something.”
“We decided not to take the risk, we will find out tomorrow what it is. But when you have Eriksen on the bench, it is definitely not a disadvantage.“
United have had a horrendous period with injuries. They are currently missing four key defenders in Luke Shaw, Raphael Varane, Lisandro Martinez and Tyrell Malacia.
Marcus Rashford is also on the sidelines alongside Scott McTominay, Donny van de Beek and Alejandro Garnacho. Sabitzer has now become the latest player to join the list.
The bench today was pretty weak with five academy graduates and Ten Hag will be hoping for some good news on the injury front over the coming days.
Rashford, Shaw and McTominay seem the closest to making their comebacks, though it is unclear whether they could feature against Sevilla in the Europa League.
The quarter-final tie is evenly placed after the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford. United face Sevilla away on Thursday. They will be without Bruno Fernandes due to suspension.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December