Manchester United winger Facundo Pellistri sent a strong message to manager Erik ten Hag yesterday with a fantastic performance for Granada against Barcelona.
The Uruguay international was sent out on loan before the winter transfer deadline, and he has immediately become a key player for the Spanish outfit.
Pellistri was undoubtedly Granada’s best player in the thrilling 3-3 draw against Barcelona.
The 22-year-old helped Granada pull level at 1-1 before the break with a quality assist before scoring a goal of his own which made it 2-1 in the club’s favour.
Granada, who are 19th in La Liga, eventually had to settle for a 3-3 draw on the road, but it could help them in turning the corner in the forthcoming games.
Pellistri did not have much possession against Barcelona, but he was hugely effective.
Aside from his goal contributions, the young attacker had 32 touches, completing 11 out of his 13 passes. He also won four duels and two tackles for his club.
In our view, the winger has sent a strong message to Ten Hag with his performance and the onus is now on finding consistency over an extended run of games.
With Alejandro Garnacho now an established starter on the right wing at United, Pellistri’s chances of regular playing time are bleak when he returns to the club.
There is also Antony and Amad Diallo for competition. However, we still believe he would be a useful off the bench if Ten Hag is willing to give him chances.
United have a big decision to make over his future in the summer. If he has a brilliant loan spell at Granada, they could also sell him for a good price.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe