Manchester United winger Facundo Pellistri has opened up on making his first start for the club in Thursday’s 1-0 Europa League victory over Real Betis.
Despite holding a three-goal advantage, United named a relatively strong squad for their return leg against Betis as Erik ten Hag made just four changes to the XI from the first leg.
With Antony missing out through injury, Pellistri was handed a rare start and the 21-year-old was pleased to have finally got the nod to feature right from the off.
“It was a very emotional moment for me and my family,” Facundo told United’s official website in an exclusive interview.
“I have been working a lot to achieve this moment and I’m really proud, and also really happy because it was a win – that was very important also.
“The message from the boss and also my teammates was to do what I know to do on the pitch, what I’ve been doing in training.
“That’s why I am playing because of all the work I do in training – that was the message.
“If you do well in training, then you are ready to play so that’s why I was confident, and the coach and everyone gave me that confidence.”
Having waited for over two years to make his official debut for United, Pellistri didn’t have to wait too long after that to make his full debut which is a sign of things to come.
However, Pellistri is set to go out on loan next season to continue his development, but United are not expected to listen to any permanent offers for their promising Uruguayan and want to tie him down to a new deal.
In the meantime, Pellistri will be targeting a second consecutive starting appearance when Man United play host to Fulham in the quarter-final of the FA Cup later today.
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books