Manchester United youngster Facundo Pellistri has been picked by Uruguay for the upcoming World Cup finals in Qatar.
The 20-year-old has been with the Red Devils since the summer of 2020 but he has yet to make his debut for the club.
Prior to this season, he spent 18 months away on loan at Alaves. There are now suggestions that he could leave soon.
Pellistri picked up an ankle injury during pre-season and since his recovery, manager Erik ten Hag has fully ignored him.
He has been an unused substitute for 11 games in a row and it remains to be seen whether he makes his debut today.
Ten Hag has the chance to rotate his squad in the Carabao Cup third round against Aston Villa.
Pellistri earns deserved World Cup call-up with Uruguay
Pellistri’s club career has not kicked off since his move from Penarol in 2020. He failed to score or assist in his time at Alaves.
He has yet to make his senior United debut, but things have paved differently for him at the international stage with Uruguay,
In his seven caps for his country, the right-winger has registered three assists and has become a favourite under Diego Alonso.
Alonso called him up immediately after he recovered from an ankle injury in September which shows the level of faith in his ability.
Pellistri will be aiming to shine for the South American nation at the tournament before a possible transfer in the New Year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities