Manchester United are looking to splash the cash on a centre-back in 2024 with talks currently ongoing at the club, according to Italian transfer expert Fabrizio Romano.
OGC Nice star Jean-Clair Todibo, Bayer Leverkusen centre-back Edmond Tapsoba and Benfica defender Antonio Silva all remain on their radar.
However, more names could be added in the coming months as Man United look to bolster their options at centre-back in January or next summer.
Romano insists signing a new defender is the ‘next big deal’ for the Red Devils, and he promises to deliver more updates going forward.
Man United were keen on signing France international defender Benjamin Pavard, but he swapped Bayern Munich for Inter Milan in the end.
With Lisandro Martinez still struggling with his fitness and set to spend several weeks on the injury sidelines, the Red Devils know they must add another top centre-back to their ranks.
They were left with Harry Maguire and Jonny Evans as their central defensive pairing during the closing stages against Arsenal following injuries to the Argentina international and Victor Lindelof.
Raphael Varane and the Sweden international are expected to start against Crystal Palace tomorrow, but manager Erik ten Hag lacks quality depth and needs quality reinforcements in January.
However, whether they can land any of their top targets midway through the season is debatable given the reluctance of clubs to lose key players during the season.
Man United may be forced to wait until next summer before signings a top centre-back, and more transfer targets are expected to emerge in the coming months.
They may still need to sell Harry Maguire before bringing in another defender after his refusal to leave in the summer prevented them from signing one.
Moving him on will not be easier, with the England international reluctant to leave the club without a sizeable pay-off if he is offered reduced wagers elsewhere.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling