Manchester United are keeping tabs on Nice centre-back Jean-Clair Todibo, according to reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano.
The Red Devils have already made three signings this summer. Mason Mount, Andre Onana and Rasmus Hojlund have joined the club for £162 million up front.
More arrivals could directly depend on player sales and speaking on his YouTube channel, Romano has revealed that Todibo is on the radar of United.
However, a move is unlikely unless Harry Maguire heads for the exit door. United recently rejected a £20m bid from West Ham for their former captain.
United could make late approach for Todibo
Todibo has developed into a top-class centre-back since his move to Nice from Barcelona.
We recently highlighted that United should consider him to replace Maguire. The club have the same plan in mind, but an approach depends on Maguire’s departure.
United currently have Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez as their first-choice centre-backs. Victor Lindelof is considered as the immediate back-up option.
The Red Devils would not want to keep Maguire as well as spend on Todibo. They need to cash in on the 30-year-old first before approaching to sign the Frenchman.
Todibo would be a fine addition to the squad. He is a strong ball-playing defender, who likes to make tackles as well as clear his lines. He is good in contesting duels.
His main strength is definitely his recovery pace. Todibo made an impressive eight recoveries per outing last term. In our view, he is a no-brainer signing if Maguire leaves.
Todibo will cost at least £39 million this summer. United will be hoping to recoup at least £30m from Maguire’s sale to step up their interest in the 23-year-old.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Squawka.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action