Manchester United are considering a new contract proposal for Facundo Pellistri before sending him out on loan next season, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The 21-year-old has had a tough season under manager Erik ten Hag and only made his first-team debut in January this year. He provided an assist off the bench against Charlton Athletic.
Pellistri has since made another five cameo appearances. The Uruguayan recently impressed in the 4-1 win over Real Betis where he was indirectly involved for United’s fourth goal.
Hence, there is plenty of potential in him and Romano claims that United are weighing up a new contract for the right winger before sanctioning a temporary move elsewhere.
Nothing is advanced at the moment, but ‘concrete talks’ will be held in April regarding Pellistri’s future.
Pellistri could be loaned out to Championship club
Pellistri signed for United from Penarol three years ago but he had to wait a long time for his debut.
In between, he had a 18-month loan spell with Deportivo Alaves in La Liga but the move was unsuccessful. He failed to score or assist in his 33 appearances.
Hence, the Red Devils need to find the right club for him to prosper this summer and we won’t be surprised if he is sent on a season-long loan to the second tier.
We have seen how Amad Diallo has developed at Sunderland. The 20-year-old had a tough start but has since contributed eight goals and two assists in the Championship.
Ten Hag may prefer something similar for Pellistri such that he can perform without the pressure of expectations. This will of course depend on his contract situation.
The youngster’s current deal does not expire until June 2025 with an option for another year. If he does not renew, the club could contemplate his permanent departure.
Pellistri, who has been praised as ‘spectacular‘ by compatriot Ronald Araujo, is already an established player for Uruguay. He made his debut last year and has 10 caps.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd planning fresh move for Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix
- Man Utd plan to track Andre Onana and Goncalo Ramos in upcoming Champions League tie
- Erik ten Hag provides a fresh injury update on Christian Eriksen
- Three emerging French midfielders Man Utd could sign this summer
- Manchester United to play nine games in ‘crazy’ April schedule
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract