Michael Carrick has withdrawn from England’s squad to face Scotland at Wembley tonight due to an apparent eye infection.
The extent of the ‘injury’ is unknown but with only 4 days until United kick their Premier Leage campaign off at The Liberty Stadium its another piece of news David Moyes would prefer not to hear (ahem).
The cynics amongst us (me included on this occasion) will suggest Carrick pulled out of tonight rather easier than he would have pulled out of a club match and the withdrawal is simply precautionary.
Carrick was however ‘due to collect his 30th cap for his country’ according to reports. How laughable is that to suggest Carrick would somehow be longing to play tonight to get his 30TH cap? If Carrick had not been so criminally ignored by a stream of England managers in the past he probably would be looking forward to tonight…..and earning his 50th cap at least!
Will the infection rule him out of United’s curtain raiser on Sunday? Hopefully not.
More to follow…..
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season