Manchester United defender Alvaro Fernandez is expected to arrive at Benfica today to undergo his medical before signing an initial loan contract, according to Record (page 11).
The Spaniard spent the first half of the campaign on loan with Granada, but he has been granted permission to travel to Portugal. He was not in the matchday squad to face Real Betis yesterday.
Record now claim that the left-back is expected in the premises of Benfica today. He will complete the necessary formalities for the move which will be announced on Monday.
Benfica are set to sign the 20-year-old on loan for €1 million. They have agreed on an option to buy for €6m. As part of the deal, United could be paid a further €3m in add-ons.
Man Utd likely to lose Fernandez permanently this summer
Fernandez is one of the best young graduates in the United ranks, but it appears he could leave the Red Devils this summer without making a single competitive appearance.
There was initially talk of a straight-loan, but the buy option in the contract clearly hands an advantage to Benfica. The Portuguese champions are likely to trigger the clause.
It is left to be seen whether United have asked for a sell-on percentage as part of the move. With Fernandez’s potential, it may not be long before he pursues a bigger challenge.
In our opinion, it was probably the right decision for Fernandez in his career. He is currently behind Luke Shaw, Diogo Dalot and Tyrell Malacia in the pecking order for the left-back role.
With all three in the prime of their respective careers, Fernandez has chosen the right path to develop. Hopefully, United will re-sign him in future, but he won’t come on the cheap.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow