A report from Daily Mail claims that Carlo Ancelotti’s Everton are interested in signing Manchester United outcast Sergio Romero.
The 34-year old shot-stopper has been a robust back-up to David De Gea since he arrived in 2015.
However, Dean Henderson’s emergence forced Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to move Romero further down the pecking order.
The Argentine international was expected to leave Old Trafford for Goodison Park last summer but the move floundered over the transfer fee.
Now it looks like the Toffees have reignited their interest to sign the goalkeeper to provide competition to Jordan Pickford.
Juventus are also keeping tabs on Romero as they are finding a suitable back-up for Wojciech Szczesny.
Red Rants View
Romero has been a great servant to the Red Devils. Despite being a regular international goalkeeper, he was willing to play second-fiddle to De Gea.
The veteran goalie has featured 61 times for United, keeping 39 clean sheets and conceding just 27 goals.
With Henderson and De Gea in front of him, there is little chance of him getting any game time at the club.
Lee Grant’s contract is also set to expire next month, suggesting that there will be a major overhaul in United’s goalkeeping department this summer.
They have been linked to Aston Villa’s Tom Heaton who is set to become a free agent at the end of the season.
Heaton has a wealth of experience of playing in the English leagues.
If he joins Solskjaer’s squad, he will not only serve as a back-up goalkeeper but also as a mentor for Henderson.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin