Everton are eyeing a summer transfer move for Manchester United goalkeeper Tom Heaton.
According to the Mirror, Everton have enquired about signing Heaton from United as they look to replace back-up shot-stopper Asmir Begovic, who left at the end of last season.
Jordan Pickford remains the first choice between the sticks, but the Toffees want an experienced goalkeeper as a cover.
The Red Devils are in the midst of a major overhaul in their goalkeeping department this summer.
Man United cannot allow Tom Heaton to leave
United only have Heaton and Dean Henderson as senior goalkeepers in their squad.
Henderson is expected to leave Old Trafford this summer in a bid for regular game-time.
Nottingham Forest could be his possible destination, with the club ready to pay £30 million to United.
If this deal goes through, Heaton will be the only senior shot-stopper left at Erik ten Hag’s disposal.
Even if Onana moves to the Theatre of Dreams, Ten Hag would want an experienced second-choice goalkeeper.
Heaton has also attracted interest from newly-promoted Luton Town. However, the manager has blocked the move as he wants the 37-year-old to stay.
United would be forced to sign another goalkeeper window if Heaton moves out.
However, it seems unlikely they would splash funds to buy a second-choice goalkeeper this summer.
The Red Devils are working with a limited budget, and their priority is to sign a new centre-forward.
It makes sense for them to keep Heaton and use their funds to bolster other positions.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action