Manchester United are in the driver’s seat to sign Erling Braut Haaland after the player revealed his admiration for Cristiano Ronaldo, according to the Mirror.
Haaland is undoubtedly the hottest prospect in the world and is being monitored by big clubs around Europe.
He averages a goal per game for Borussia Dortmund and is currently valued at more than £100 million.
However, with a reported release clause of around £68m set to be triggered next summer, there is sure to be a massive scramble to secure his services.
Ronaldo’s return to Old Trafford could give them the upper hand, with Haaland a huge admirer of the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.
“I would love to meet him and tell him that I’m a footballer thanks to him,” said Haaland.
“For me, he’s always been a role model.”
United’s interest in Haaland is well known.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer introduced him to professional football in Norway and would be eager for a reunion.
United have improved their squad considerably this summer, and the prolific striker would make them untouchable.
With Edinson Cavani leaving next year and Anthony Martial’s future unclear, Haaland is undoubtedly the perfect candidate to lead the line.
However, United will face plenty of competition, with Real Madrid and Manchester City amongst the clubs eyeing Haaland.
However, Haaland’s admiration for Ronaldo could tip the scales in their favour and give them the most formidable attack in Europe.
- Marko Arnautovic’s agent speaks out on potential Manchester United switch
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one
- Report: ‘Dazzling’ Benjamin Sesko knows Manchester United want him but PSG blow is last thing Erik ten Hag needs