Christian Eriksen continued his excellent start to the season with a stunning strike for Denmark against Croatia in the Nations League last night.
Although his 39th international goal was not enough to prevent the Danes from slipping to a 2-1 defeat, the 30-year-old produced another impressive performance.
His 25-yard screamer levelled the game for Denmark, but Croatia soon regained the lead and held on to seal the victory.
Eriksen has thrived for United in recent weeks, helping the team bounce back from a slow start to the season to climb up to fifth in the Premier League.
His efforts have seen him voted as Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September – a thoroughly deserved accolade.
While United fans will be delighted with the impact Eriksen has made for club and country, there will be concerns about whether he can maintain his current level.
Eriksen’s cardiac arrest at the 2020 European Championships is still fresh in the memory, and people will inevitably be worried about him overdoing things.
United will play nine games during October and avoiding fitness issues during that period is crucial to the club’s hopes of success.
The playmaker told Sky Sports earlier this year that his heart is the ‘safest on the pitch’ because it has an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) fitted.
Former United defender Daley Blind also has an ICD and has played without any problems for Ajax and the Netherlands.
That will hopefully give Eriksen the confidence he needs to keep showcasing his talents in a United shirt over the next month and beyond.
Eriksen was not the only player to shine at international level last night, with Raphael Varane producing a solid display for France.
He helped Les Bleus keep a clean sheet against Austria and completely nullified the threat posed by striker Marko Arnautovic.
United will be desperate to see Varane and Eriksen safely negotiate their final games in the Nations League before they return to the club next week.
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager