Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag would like to bring Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries to the club this summer, according to Inter Live.
The Dutchman has been regularly linked with a Premier League move in recent months. United, Chelsea and Newcastle United have been mentioned as his admirers.
It is now reported that Ten Hag is interested in signing Dumfries and a deal could materialise for €40 million as Inter ‘desperately need to sell’ amid financial concerns.
The Nerazzurri were asking for €50m for the defender during the January transfer window.
Dumfries could replace Wan-Bissaka at United
United presently have Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka as the specialist right-backs. Dalot was an undisputed starter before the World Cup under manager Erik ten Hag.
Wan-Bissaka has seen plenty of game time after the tournament amid Dalot’s fitness concerns but the 25-year-old could be shown the exit door this summer for a replacement.
The right-back has impressed with his defensive contributions especially in one-on-one situations, but the former Crystal Palace man does not offer much in an attacking sense.
Dumfries would provide the right balance in both departments. He is strong with his ability to win duels but also likes to make forward runs. He has six goal contributions this term.
The ‘explosive‘ star has operated as a right wing-back for club and country in recent years but he was primarily a right-back during his time with PSV Eindhoven in the Eredivisie.
Ten Hag should know plenty about him, having managed Ajax for four years. It is unsurprising that the Dutch tactician wants to pursue his services at the end of the campaign.
United probably have a free run at signing him this summer with Chelsea no longer in the mix. The Blues are unlikely to enter the race after landing Lyon’s Malo Gusto in January.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March
- Changes made to Owners’ and Directors’ Test could affect Man United takeover