Former Manchester United captain Gary Neville believes the Red Devils were close to a perfect away performance before Arsenal struck two late goals to claim the points.
Man United and Arsenal fought an intense and dramatic battle yesterday, with the Gunners eventually coming out on top.
Speaking after United’s 3-1 defeat at the Emirates Stadium, Neville told Sky Sports: “Erik ten Hag would have been proud of what his players have done.
“It was a better performance in terms of concentration, which is required in a big game.
“They have been accused of, and rightly so, for their appalling record in big away matches against top nine teams.
“The last ten minutes were significant for them, but they fell short again.
“There will be massive disappointment, but the elements of their performance were much better than what we saw against Tottenham (Hotspur), Nottingham Forest and Wolves (Wolverhampton Wanderers).
“There was no serious defensive structure in previous games. But, today, I saw something that resembles a team in defence.”
Man Utd have had a below-par start to the new season
The Red Devils have accumulated only six points from the possible 12 in the 2023/24 Premier League campaign.
Both defeats have come on the road, one against Tottenham and the other against Arsenal.
They were lucky to beat Wolves and had to rely on a penalty to escape with three points against Forest.
Playing Mason Mount in the number eight spot has made the midfield imbalanced.
Christian Eriksen’s return to the starting XI has improved the balance but at the cost of dynamism on the attacking front.
An average transfer window has not helped Man United either. To pour salt into the wounds, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal have improved their squads significantly this summer.
An increasing number of injured players are a big concern for team management. Raphael Varane, Tom Heaton, Amad Diallo, Luke Shaw, Tyrell Malacia and Mount are on the sidelines.
Hopefully, this international break can give the manager and the players enough time to gather their thoughts and return stronger.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns