Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is eager to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong during the January transfer window, Spanish publication Sport claim.
The Red Devils were heavily interested in landing the Netherlands international from the Blaugrana last summer and they even agreed a transfer fee for him (€85 million).
However, De Jong made it clear that he did not want to leave the Catalan giants, and this saw United turn their attention towards signing Casemiro from Real Madrid.
It is now reported that Ten Hag is still keen on pursuing De Jong’s services as the Dutch midfielder perfectly suits him compared to the likes of Casemiro and Eriksen.
According to Sport, the club are prepared to try again for him in January but De Jong has no plans of leaving this winter despite his reduced playing time under Xavi.
The Dutchman is set to wait until next summer before assessing his options. Apart from United, Bayern Munich and Chelsea are very attentive over the developments.
United likely to wait until the end of the season for major signings
The Red Devils had a record spending spree over the summer with €250m paid for six players. John Murtough has since clarified that the spending was probably a one-off.
Hence, the club are unlikely to splash similar fees in future transfer windows, and the onus could instead be on making one or two high-profile signings recommended by Ten Hag.
De Jong has been regularly mentioned as a target since the transfer deadline, but United’s transfer focus could shift next summer with the availability of Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham.
The 19-year-old will obviously be a costlier purchase for the Red Devils, but he is only in his early formative years and could be a leading star for United for the next 10 to 15 years.
He would prove better value for money over De Jong. United may have to choose between the two. The Red Devils must still qualify for the Champions League to persuade either player.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow