Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is eyeing a reunion with RB Leipzig striker Brian Brobbey, German publication Bild claims.
The 20-year-old started his career at Ajax (October 2020) after graduating through their academy, but left them on a free transfer last summer.
However, he struggled at Leipzig where he was a regular on the bench, and this contributed to him rejoining Ajax on a short-term loan in January.
Having impressed under Ten Hag during the back end of last season, it is now claimed that the Dutch tactician wants to bring him to Old Trafford.
Ajax are also interested in re-signing him, but Ten Hag could beat his former club with United now prepared to meet the €15 million price tag.
Ten Hag and Brobbey have already spoken with each other. It appears United could be in pole position to sign the highly-rated striker.
Brobbey could excel at Man Utd under Ten Hag’s guidance
Brobbey was largely on the bench for RB Leipzig after his switch last summer. He registered just three assists from 13 appearances across all competitions.
However, he managed to change his fortunes after his loan return to Ajax. The Dutchman netted seven goals alongside one assist. He scored in four of the final five games of the Eredivisie campaign.
Hence, there are no surprises that Ten Hag wants another reunion. Brobbey is far from the finished article, but has impressed with his speed and strength, and also has a superb leap in the air.
At just 20, he has plenty of room for progress. Ten Hag may feel he can transform the youngster into a potential world-beater. He could be a leading striker for United over the next decade.
It is unclear whether Cristiano Ronaldo will continue at the club amid his desire to play Champions League football, but a move for Brobbey suggests that United are already looking into the future.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract