Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has spoken about the need to defend as a team ahead of tonight’s Premier League clash against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils have made good progress since the Dutchman took charge over the summer and they are currently three points adrift of the Champions League places.
The onus will be on closing the gap to fourth-placed Chelsea but for that, the Red Devils need to be defensively resolute while also picking up wins in the process.
In a Q/A session on ManUtd.com, Ten Hag has now said that the players should only improve with their defensive play with more sessions and become even more dictating.
He said: “Yeah, we do really well. I know when the routines come even more in, they will become even more controlled, it will be even more dictating and that is what we aim for.”
“We have now to get that routine in, 100 per cent, because in the defence you have to be 100 per cent disciplined. It’s never about ‘but’ or ‘if’: no, you have to do it. To do it as individuals, to do it as a team.”
United should relish Tottenham challenge tonight
United produced one of their best performances of the season against Liverpool at Old Trafford. The club also got the better of league leaders at Arsenal on their home patch.
On both occasions, they managed to outwit the opposition on the counter-attack after moments without possession. It will be interesting to see whether Ten Hag goes with the same tactic.
This style of play has worked well against the big teams in the past.
United should be wary of Spurs’ attacking threat particularly from Harry Kane and Son Heung-min.
However, the north London side also have a weakness when they lose possession higher up the field. United have the perfect set of players that could capitalise on such situations.
Marcus Rashford, who has four goals in his last seven meetings against Spurs, will be crucial up front. Antony should also be a menace for Spurs’ defence with his pace on the right flank.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out