Incoming Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag has his sights on landing Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries this summer, Italian publication Tuttosport claims.
The Red Devils currently have Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot as the regular right-backs, but they have not made a direct goal contribution this campaign.
Dalot has shown promise with his regular run of starts this year, but he has not been able to deliver key passes in the final third while being vulnerable defensively.
This could urge Ten Hag to pursue a quality upgrade. Tuttosport claims that the Dutchman is keen on landing the services of Dumfries, who could leave Inter this summer.
The Nerazzurri need to recoup funds to balance their financial books. Dumfries, who was bought from PSV for €15 million last summer, could be available for €35m (£29.5m).
Ten Hag has reportedly earmarked him as the prime target, having missed out on a reunion with Ajax’s Noussair Mazraoui, who is set to join Bayern Munich for free.
Dumfries had a superb Euro 2020 campaign for the Netherlands last summer, bagging two goals and one assist from four outings. This earned him his move to Inter.
He has since impressed with five goals and seven assists from 41 appearances at right wing-back, but has been in-and-out of the starting line-up for the Serie A games.
Hence, the Dutchman does not appear indispensable. United have an excellent opportunity to lure him with the assurance of a starting role from right-back next season.
At the reported price tag, he would be a quality recruit without taking much out of United’s budget. Dumfries has also impressed defensively with his tackling and aerial ability.
United may need to act fast to prise him away ahead of rivals. They will offer him a lucrative salary package, but don’t have the assurance of Champions League football for next season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Manchester United: Christian Eriksen’s masterclass helps Denmark beat France 2-0
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September