Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag reportedly tried to convince Nemanja Matic to extend his stay at Old Trafford for another year as per The Athletic.
The 33-year-old opted to leave the Red Devils following the expiry of his contract rather than trigger an optional one-year extension.
He joined the Manchester club from Chelsea in 2017 in a deal worth £40 million.
The Serbian midfielder made 188 appearances across all competitions during his five-year spell, scoring four goals and bagging 11 assists (stats from Transfermarkt).
He has now reunited with his former Chelsea and United boss Jose Mourinho at Roma, penning a one-year deal.
According to The Athletic, Ten Hag had tried to persuade Matic to stay at United for another year. It is said that he was viewed as a good influence in the dressing room.
Manchester United have announced the signing of Tyrell Malacia from Feyenoord while they are also close to completing a deal for Christian Eriksen.
They are also said to be engaged in negotiations for Barcelona ace Frenkie de Jong.
However, the Red Devils look in need of a new defensive midfielder too as neither De Jong nor Eriksen are natural defensive midfielders.
If they fail to recruit a new player for this role, then either Scott McTominay or Fred could be tasked to plug the gap again.
Nemanja Matic may not have been able to play every game due to his age, but he could have been a good backup for whoever operates there next campaign.
United boss Erik ten Hag made the right decision to try to keep the 33-year-old at Old Trafford, though he wasn’t successful in the end.
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot