Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has provided an update on four players ahead of the Premier League meeting against Arsenal on Sunday.
The Red Devils started the season with two successive losses, but have since found momentum with three wins on the trot. They are now just one point adrift of the Champions League places.
Ten Hag will be hoping to extend the run against league leaders Arsenal this weekend. Ahead of the game, the Dutchman has provided a mixed update on the fitness of four players.
Luke Shaw and Aaron Wan-Bissaka were not in the squad against Leicester City last night with ‘small complaints‘, and Ten Hag is unclear whether the duo will be available or not for Sunday.
However, the 52-year-old confirmed that Anthony Martial is definitely ruled out of the encounter, having yet to recover from an Achilles injury. Ten Hag could not provide a timescale for his return.
He told Manutd.com: “It’s difficult to say when I talk about Luke Shaw and Aaron, but Anthony Martial will not be involved on Sunday. I cannot tell at this moment. [when asked for a return date].”
Meanwhile, Ten Hag hinted that new signing Antony could make the matchday squad on Sunday. The decision will be based on the team training sessions held today as well as tomorrow.
He added: “He did his first training [yesterday], so [an] individual [session]. Friday, we have a team session and on Saturday we have a team session, so I will think about it and then we will take a decision.”
United have perfect chance to beat Arsenal this weekend
United could be without three first-team players on Sunday, but among them, only Martial is considered as a regular starter. Hence, the club don’t face much of a disadvantage unlike the Gunners.
Mikel Arteta’s side are already missing two key midfielders in Mohamed Elneny and Thomas Partey with muscular injuries while Oleksandr Zinchenko has also been ruled out with a knee concern.
Furthermore, goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale and playmaker Martin Odegaard are also doubtful. The Gunners could be without four of their regular starters at Old Trafford this weekend.
Hence, the Red Devils have been handed a big boost and they still need to deliver a strong performance against the north London side, who have a perfect record in the league thus far.
Ten Hag has named an unchanged side for three straight games, and it won’t be a surprise if he continues with the same XI. However, we would prefer Casemiro and Cristiano Ronaldo in the XI.
Ronaldo bagged three goals against Arsenal last season and should be rewarded with a start after a lively cameo in midweek. Antony could make his club debut off the bench if required.
Ten Hag has been content to start Casemiro among the substitutes in recent games such that he can assess the intensity. He may prefer a similar ploy with Antony in his first few outings.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m