Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag remains interested in signing Ajax striker Brian Brobbey but a deal is unlikely in the current transfer window, according to ESPN.
Ten Hag was keen on bringing Brobbey to Old Trafford during his first summer in charge in 2022, but the 21-year-old preferred to return to Amsterdam from RB Leipzig.
He has since confirmed that United were looking to sign him and ESPN now report that the Dutch forward continues to remain a top target for the Red Devils boss.
Ten Hag is eager to reunite with Brobbey, but a January deal is unlikely with finances tight due to Financial Fair Play.
The young striker is likely to be part of the conversation in the summer if Ten Hag continues to stay on as the head coach.
United could make stopgap signing before summer Brobbey deal
The Red Devils are currently in a difficult financial position and funds are limited.
The Glazers recently agreed to hand over the footballing operations to Sir Jim Ratcliffe for a 25 per cent stake at the club, but the deal won’t be ratified by the Premier League until mid-February.
Hence, Ratcliffe and INEOS can’t provide any funds to invest in the ongoing transfer window. Knowing Glazers over the years, they are unlikely to spend from their own pockets to bolster the squad.
With this in mind, we are not surprised that United are exploring a loan deal for veteran Bayern Munich striker Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting to fill the void left by Anthony Martial’s hip injury.
The Cameroonian would be a decent stopgap signing until the summer when United could invest on Brobbey. The young striker has 15 goals and four assists from only 26 games this term.
With his age and huge potential, he could be the perfect competitor to Rasmus Hojlund. Martial is expected to head for the exit door when his contract expires at the end of the season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow