Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has backed Marcus Rashford to turnaround his form following the 1-0 Premier League defeat to Crystal Palace at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils secured a convincing 3-0 win over Palace in the third round of the Carabao Cup in midweek and they were much fancied to beat the Eagles again.
However, Roy Hodgson’s side took the lead through a sublime Joachim Andersen strike in the 25th minute, and managed to hold on to the advantage for the entire game.
Tyrick Mitchell made a goal line clearance for the visitors while goalkeeper Sam Johnstone made a wonderful save to deny Bruno Fernandes from finding the net.
Rashford, who has netted just one goal this term, had another frustrating outing from the left wing. He lost possession on 18 occasions and did not have a shot on target.
Speaking after the game, Ten Hag said that Rashford knows he can do better and backed him to turnaround his difficult start to the new Premier League campaign.
He told Manutd.com: “I think he knows he can do better than he is now and I’m sure it will come. He works hard and it will come, but not automatically.”
“The team has to work around him, and they have to invest a lot. The decision-making wasn’t good enough and then we don’t score.”
United have had a tough start to the top-flight season and they have already suffered four defeats from their opening seven games which is obviously a huge concern.
The club are currently seven points adrift of the final Champions League spot. The next league game against Brentford is already a must-win to avoid losing further ground.
Prior to that, the Red Devils have a crucial home game against Galatasaray in the Champions League group stage on Tuesday night. They need to respond with three points.
United were beaten 4-3 by Bayern Munich on Matchday 1. Galatasaray won’t be an easy opposition. They are top of the Super Lig in Turkey and have plenty of quality in their attack.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action